email: | phone: +64 3 548 9944  | fax: +64 3 548 1199


NTIS New Zealand

Travel and Support - frequently asked questions


Tours and Tour Planning

I have already arranged the tour for my group can you just help me fill in some  gaps?

Yes, we offer a full tour booking service but also can help out with filling in the gaps in your itinerary. We can look after your party for one day,  make activity bookings or simply advise you on how to complete your itinerary.


I don't want a tour but need help with bookings.

We can book all of your activities for you and advise you on where to go and what to do.

Studying English and Working holidays

These questions and answers are generally asked by and answered for visitors who do not have English as their first language - the questions and answers are put here for reference.


Does my age matter?
Not at all! From 5 to around 70 years old with good health you are able to book with us. If you are under 18 there are special requirements. Ask us.


Do you book the Homestay for me?

If you are going to a language school they will normally book the homestay for you - they have lists of homes that have been checked to ensure they conform to their requirements. If you are not studying at a language school we will arrange this for you. All of our homestays have been checked personally and meet our strict requirements.

What are the rules at the Homestay?
This depends on the family you are staying with - but don't worry! If you are from Japan or Asia you will learn a different lifestyle, eat different food and see the different ways of thinking between Japanese/Asian and Kiwi's. You can offer to help with house work as you are not a guest but one of the family but you will not be expected to complete a list of jobs. You must follow their rules including shower time rules. Remember not to hesitate in asking them if you have any enquiries. Homestay families are relaxed and friendly and are there to help.

How do I get the best Homestay experience?
Try to communicate with them rather than spending lots of time in your bedroom. This is a good opportunity to learn English conversation by talking and listening.

Will I experience native life?
Absolutely. You will see how your hosts communicate with each other and experience their lifestyle.

Is this a good way to improve my English?
This is the best way. Talking and experiencing life in an English speaking country is a much better way of learning than merely studying English from a book. You will also get a family in New Zealand that you can stay in touch with by email or letter so you always have someone to practise your English with.

What if I have a problem at my Homestay?

If you do have a problem and feel you cannot talk about it with anyone you should phone us. You can talk to your support person at NTIS New Zealand in confidence. They will speak your own language and help you to resolve the problem. If you do have a problem please tell us. There are occasionally bad Homestays out there. If you have a bad experience and do not tell us the next person at that Homestay may have the same bad experience. If you tell us we can do something about it. It is not bad manners to tell us about this - we want to know!


Working holidays


Do I need a high level of English ability to get a working holiday  visa?
You don't need to have a high level of English  - although we recommend you go to language school for a few months if you are not fully confident in your English ability. You will make lots of friends from around the world and get the right information at school for the rest of your time in New Zealand. You may even find a job yourself during this time.

How much money do I need to spend a year in New Zealand on a working holiday?
This depends you. There are rules laid down by the immigration service if you are arriving without a Working Holiday Visa. If you have the Visa but no job we suggest that you bring at least $15000 for the year.

Is it easy to find a job?
You may be able to find a job easily if you have skills of any sort. If you do not it may be difficult to get the job you want. NTIS New Zealand will work with you on finding work. There are many illegal jobs that do not pay anything or pay only cash without any tax being paid. NTIS New Zealand will ensure that  the work you do is legal and that you are paid at least the minimum wage. If you find anyone offering you cash only or an amount less than the minimum wage you should report this to us. If you still do not find paid work we may find you voluntary work. This is unpaid but you are employed legally. 


What about finding somewhere to live?

NTIS New Zealand will also help you to find somewhere to live, get a Tax number and bank account. Our support service will also be at the end of the phone should you have any further problems while you are here.

How much will my English improve after a year?
That really depends on you and what you do. Your English will improve more if you spend as much time as possible communicating with English speakers rather than spending time speaking your own language with your friends. You will also find that spending time with your host family talking English is much more effective than sitting in your room studying alone. We will give you as much help and support as possible in your New Zealand life and encourage you to practise your English.

Language Schools


Which are the best Language schools?

We will not advise on one school as most of them are very good. We will, however make sure that the schools you book with us are approved by the NZ Government and follow their education department's code of practice.  We also advise that you choose a school with small classes and suggest you look outside the large cities - this way you will not be tempted to spend lots of time with people of the same nationality as you. However if you do wish to stay in a large city we can advise on very good schools there.


What about 'one on one' English lessons?

We can find you a homestay that will teach one on one English. For some people this is a much better way of learning English than a school. For others and particularly for younger people or people staying for a longer time we advise that you look at a language school. This way you get to meet new friends and share your experiences with them.


Other Questions?

If your question is not here  contact us with your question and we will get back to you straight away.